Earth Day 2022
Earth Day is the day that was created to bring transformative change through education, activism, and change to benefit our planet. The worldwide COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way we live, work, and communicate. We may be separated, but we are all in it together. Take Earth Day to remember the planet we all share, and do something to help.
How Suburban Testing Labs Celebrates
Our company’s Environmental Action Committee, a group of employees dedicated to planning activities to further our Purpose of preserving the environment, had a great week of events planned.
In honor of Earth Day, the Committee has put together a spirit week for our employees. Each day featured a theme related to conservation. In addition, we had a daily activity puzzle, a weeklong scavenger hunt, and a fundraiser towards planting trees across the globe with onetreeplanted.org.
- Meatless Monday – eating a plant based diet is an easy way to help combat environmental concerns.
- Tie Dye Tuesday – learning to use plant and vegetable based dyes for clothing design
- No Waste Wednesday – avoid creating food waste
- Thrifty Thursday – learning about how thrift shopping helps keep clothing out of landfills
- Flower Friday – raising money to plant trees
We also handed out branded reusable silverware and straws for our employees to use to reduce waste. Anyone can join in on these activities at home to make a difference.
Want to learn more? Here’s how you can join the global conversation while at home this year.
Tune in to Earth Day Live 2022 Online – Nature in the Race to Zero
EARTHDAY.ORG, together with partners, is proud to present the Earth Day Climate Action Summit. We need to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by mid-century to keep the global temperature below 1,5°C. Join us to learn about some key solutions that will help us deliver the greenhouse gas reductions needed by 2030 to meet the Paris Agreement.
How to Watch
Tune in on April 22 at 12PM ET and stream the event live or view recordings at: https://www.earthday.org/earth-day-2022/
Pledge as a Family
Commit as a household to change one behavior that will benefit our planet. For example:
- Commit to eliminating the purchase of bottled water, and instead use reusable containers.
- Stop using plastic straws and stick to stainless steel reusable straws instead.
- Eliminate single-use plates, utensils, or napkins, and stick to washable and reusable options.
- Install rain barrels for watering of outdoor flowers, plants, and vegetable gardens.
Pick one commitment and discuss how you can change your daily behaviors to stick to it.
Go to the Backyard
Plant a tree, native wildflowers, or start a garden. Spring is the perfect time to get started! Planting supports bird, butterfly, and bee species. Not to mention, it’s a simple way to add beauty to your outdoor living space. Check out The Old Farmer’s Almanac website for tips to start your own Wildflower garden.
Educate the Next Generation
E-learning and cabin fever has taken over households with children. Earth Day allows you to mix-it-up with a new activity while helping the next generation understand the importance of taking care of our planet.
- Check out National Geographic Kids for some Earth Day celebration ideas.
- Environment America has a list of “Nifty Fifty Activities” kids can do at home in many categories, including climate change, waste reduction, plants, bees, and waterways.
- Browse Pinterest for simple Earth Day activities you can print and do at home.
As an environmental testing laboratory, our overall purpose is to help preserve the environment and protect public health. It’s in everything we do every day. But outside of work, we can all contribute as citizens to help make the Earth better for future generations.
#EarthDay2022 #EarthDayLive #InvestInOurPlanet